Tuesday 16 August 2011

The third week...

There are still some things that are hard about practicing medicine in a different place. I've been able to get my admission efficiency down to 50 minutes, which I'm satisfied with. Still, I feel limited. I feel as though I am working with one hand tied behind my back and am not working at what I perceive as my capable efficiency level. Part of it I can still attribute to working in a different system. Part of it may just be that much of the stuff is still paper charts, which makes searching for things rather tedious. I'm doing my best and I'm sure things are just a matter of time.

I think I am tempted to ask for nights next block. That might sound crazy to some, but I don't think it is. At night, there's no one else. You practice the way you practice and let someone else do or change things as they please after handover or signout. Working nights, you accept that people will change things in the morning, and know that they accept that overnight the purpose is to stabilize until the morning when things can be fine tuned. Plus, I think there is something peaceful about the night despite it being busy. People's roles are simplified. I may be romanticizing things here though.

No comments:

Post a Comment